May 27 2017, 05:48 PM
she/her
twenty-four

aura reading
ghostwriter
mila i. mattke
jules [she/her] • 31 posts

@vesper fraser lmao finally
Dancing with our shoes off, Know I think you're awesome, right?
Mila felt a bit restless, rocking back and forth on her heels outside the barcade, waiting for Vesper. She was excited, mostly. They had been talking for months - somehow, they knew each other all the more intimately because they'd never met in real life. It was weird how you could tell a stranger on the internet things you'd never dare speak aloud.

There was a hint of nervousness to her fidgety energy, though her curiosity easily overrode her doubt. She glanced down at her phone, at the last message she'd sent: 'you'll know me when you see me ;)', before shutting off the screen and closing her eyes again.

It was satisfying to know she could make a friend without relying on reading their aura, though there would be no way to ignore it once they actually met. Even with her eyes closed, she could sense all the people around her, and while she waited Mila played a game in her head where she guessed which one was Vesper.

May 29 2017, 08:34 PM
he/she/they
twenty-five

being grumpy
unemployed
vesper fraser
kirsten [they/them] • 20 posts

outskirts of paradise

Vesper had been nothing but jitters for days knowing this meeting was coming. She felt like Mila was a friend she’d known for years--her whole life, even--despite it only having been a few months. This meeting felt like a reunion somehow, like someone she had been missing was finally reentering her life. They had struggled to figure out what to wear, how to do their hair. Though the two were really just friends, he wanted to dress to impress. He was a little bit more into Mila than he felt he should be.

He was running late thanks to traffic, which made him more nervous. At some points they worried they were going to cry when they saw her, which would be embarrassing, not to mention inconvenient based on how long she had spent on her makeup. He finally pulled up to their meeting spot and got out of the car, glancing around for Mila. She had seen enough pictures of her to know she would recognize her, but she was still nervous, worrying she would miss her.

Eventually, though, they spotted Mila, her eyes closed as Vesper approached her. He walked up in front of her, tapping her on one arm, unable to help the uncharacteristic smile on his face. She was even more lovely in person.

tag: @mila i. mattke

BY MITZI
Jun 7 2017, 08:35 PM
she/her
twenty-four

aura reading
ghostwriter
mila i. mattke

She was not very good at the game. She had a few false starts, where she opened her eyes only to find herself looking at a stranger. When Vesper actually approached, she was caught off guard by the tap on her shoulder, a smile breaking out on Mila's face to mirror his.

"You came!" She wasn't much of a hugger, but she did want some kind of physical contact, to make up for all the times Mila had wished she could reach out through the screen. She clasped both of Vesper's hands in hers.

Her aura gave the impression of dark, of brooding - that was what Mila had liked about Vesper, the bitterness and an understanding they both shared, all the unhappy shapes their lives had moulded them to. But there was a fondness he radiated that felt warm and familiar.

"I was trying to guess which one was you." She explained. "But you found me first." She hadn't been able to find Vesper, but they didn't seem to have had any trouble picking Mila out of a crowd - people rarely did.

Jun 10 2017, 06:31 PM
he/she/they
twenty-five

being grumpy
unemployed
vesper fraser

outskirts of paradise

There was definitely a part of Vesper who hoped that Mila would hug them, even kiss them, but the hand holding was a good first step, and Vesper was thrilled to even be able to touch her at all.

She hadn’t been expecting Mila to forget that she was deaf, but it wasn’t all that surprising. It wasn’t something she had to consider when they were just internet friends; they just had to avoid Skyping and phone calls, and that was simple enough to do. At any rate, Vesper was in a good enough mood that Mila’s forgetfulness didn’t bother him in the least.

They did, however, feel the need to set her straight as soon as possible, or things would be a little bit difficult between them. “Mila, I can’t read lips,” they said, an indirect way of reminding her that he couldn’t hear either, which would make reading lips a more desirable skill. They didn’t know how loud or quiet they were speaking, gradually losing the ability to differentiate volumes after so many years being unable to hear her own voice. Maybe she was yelling, maybe talking too quietly to hear properly. Either way, it wasn’t really sustainable for a conversation.

BY MITZI

Jun 11 2017, 10:33 PM
she/her
twenty-four

aura reading
ghostwriter
mila i. mattke

Mila had to lean in to catch Vesper's words, and she didn't miss the little rush that burst forth at their closeness. When she pulled back her mouth was open in an 'o' as if shocked by her own stupidity.

"Shit, right." Of course she knew Vesper was deaf, but apart from the two of them talking about it sometimes, it didn't come up while they were just typing messages to each other. She was used to just communicating with them the way she would anyone else. And while she would still do that, it would have to be same content, different medium. Or, technically, the same one as before - she pulled out her phone and sent him a text.

sorry, got excited
is this alright? or should i write? or mime? or hire a skywriter?

Mila hit send, and glanced back up at him with an expectant grin. It seemed silly and roundabout, but that was the charm of it.

Jun 12 2017, 05:16 PM
he/she/they
twenty-five

being grumpy
unemployed
vesper fraser

outskirts of paradise

Vesper couldn’t help but laugh a little bit at Mila’s forgetfulness and consequent realization as he waited for the text that Mila was clearly sending to him. It was good to be laughing; it wasn’t often that Vesper found reason to laugh around their deafness. Even after eleven years, it still stung every day to wake up without the birds chirping in her ears, without the sound of the water running for her shower, the noise of cereal hitting a glass bowl. Vesper was excellent at feeling bad for herself, so in any moment when she could get some humor out of it, she knew she should probably avoid trying to stop it.

The phone in his pocket buzzed and he pulled it out with a smirk at Mila, reading her message then quickly replying.

>don’t you dare even speak to me unless it’s through a skywriter
>this is fine don’t worry.
>it’s so good to meet you in person!!!!!!!!

She looked up at Mila expectantly, waiting for her to read the messages and respond, and just because she couldn’t take her eyes off of her. Seeing her in person was everything.

BY MITZI

Jun 14 2017, 02:08 PM
she/her
twenty-four

aura reading
ghostwriter
mila i. mattke

Despite the fact that they were standing barely a foot apart, there was a delay between Vesper sending the messages and Mila actually receiving the text when Mila glanced giddily between Vesper and her phone before it pinged.

She laughed as she read the first message, giving a small nod in agreement that it was, in fact, great to meet her in person before she typed out her reply.

isn't this kind of like skywriting?

it's all getting beamed up to a satellite and then back down to us on earth

so even better

It had been a weird coincidence that they were both in Chicago. Though Mila didn't believe in god, it was hard not to believe in something when she kept crossing paths with people like Nana and Vesper by dumb luck. And she did feel lucky to get to meet Vesper. She didn't like cliches, but he really was tall, dark and handsome.

it is really cool to meet you, finally!

a bit weird but, in a good way

wanna go in?

She motioned towards the door. Vesper was new to Chicago so Mila had taken the liberty of choosing a place to meet, a local barcade she frequented. Drinks and junk food and arcade games seemed like a safe bet for a good time. She loved the noisy neon of the place.

Jun 14 2017, 08:23 PM
he/she/they
twenty-five

being grumpy
unemployed
vesper fraser

outskirts of paradise

>sounds like you’re just too cheap to hire a private plane, mila.

No matter how they were communicating, Vesper was thrilled to be seeing her in person. Their online friendship had gotten Vesper through plenty of dark times, and having her here in the same city now was full of promise. He could really use some friends here; he didn’t really know anyone yet, save for his obnoxious roommate. She had a cousin in the city as well, but hadn’t told her that she was around yet and wasn’t planning on it at any time soon. Mila was the perfect company to have, because they already knew each other and got along and, well, it would be nothing new for them if they only talked over text and didn’t get around to seeing each other. It was the perfect arrangement.

She looked up at the building they were stood outside of, then looked back to Mila and nodded. He’d never been to a barcade before, but it hardly seemed like it could be anything but great. Definitely a good way to kill time with a friend. And, really, they were liking the idea of getting a few cocktails or something. Alcohol sounded great right now. She went ahead and grabbed the door, holding it open and gesturing for Mila to head inside first.

BY MITZI
Jun 21 2017, 06:50 PM
she/her
twenty-four

aura reading
ghostwriter
mila i. mattke

She nodded in thanks as she passed Vesper holding the door open. The space opened into dim, light and gaudy neon exposed brick and graffiti murals above the arcade games lining the walls. Mila turned and advanced into the room backwards, stopping to watch for her reaction.

Giving her a moment to survey the room, she turned and led Vesper towards the bar, leaning across and greeting the bartender by name. She introduced Vesper with a Vanna White flourish before ordering their drinks. She knew his order already - maybe it would have been polite to ask, but maybe she wanted to show that she remembered his drink of choice - sangria. She got herself a vodka soda and paid for the round.

The games were flashing and pinging and beckoning, but she took her drink to a table. She wanted to talk for a bit first. Since neither of them had anywhere to be tomorrow morning, they could take their sweet time.

There wasn't too much of a crowd yet, since it was a weekday, and early evening at that. Mila hadn't planned anything for the rest of the night, figuring they could wing it once they met up.

Once she was seated, Mila pulled out her phone again to type out another text message.

you would not believe how wild pong gets after a few drinks

She kind of liked writing to them. Mila sometimes had a tendency to spend too long choosing how to say things, which was weird in conversation but not so much in written word.

Though it wasn't like she had to be incredibly careful with her words tonight. Vesper already knew so much about her that there were hardly any secrets to keep.

Jun 28 2017, 08:32 PM
he/she/they
twenty-five

being grumpy
unemployed
vesper fraser

outskirts of paradise

Vesper could remember being a kid and loving places like this. Every visit to the mall, she begged her parents to take her into the arcade for a few minutes, let her play games and win prizes and drink soda pop until her brain was fried from the sugar, lights, and sounds. It never worked out that way, her parents feeling that that sort of behavior was for boys, and certainly their daughter was not that sort of hooligan that played in arcades, even if she had been a boy. Besides, they were much too busy, and they had to find Vesper new clothes since so many of his had become unwearable thanks to all of the tumbling around he got into. Only on a few rare occasions had his father caved, or had she been left alone with friends and found their way into that world. Once she got sick and lost her hearing, her friends, her independence, and her desire for playing stupid games like that. When the sound was no longer able to draw her in, she didn’t want it anymore.

But that was a long time ago, and Vesper had gotten over childish perspectives like that. Now, the barcade seemed like a pretty damn great invention. Vesper was excited about all of the games, even if she couldn’t hear them. Some of them she could remember how they sounded, and some of them she could actually hear the highest notes on, if only faintly. She and Mila made their way over the the bar, where Mila ordered for them. Not being able to read lips, he had no way to know what drink he’d wind up with, but he was sure Mila had picked something good for him. She knew him well enough by now, even if this was the first time they’d been together in person.

They glanced around the place, looking back at Mila every so often to see if she needed their attention--plus, it was nice to remind themselves of how lovely she was and how real she was. When the got Mila’s text, they read it and smiled, looking up at Mila again before replying.

>i’m pretty eager for you to show me, though.
>i’ve never been to a place like this before.

BY MITZI

Jul 24 2017, 01:18 AM
she/her
twenty-four

aura reading
ghostwriter
mila i. mattke

Vesper was looking around with what seemed genuine interest, and Mila flashed them a smile when their attention rested back on her. She could sense his excitement, and it was contagious. She was glad he seemed at ease, since Vesper struck her as a guarded person.

The internet was weird like that - they might have never become friends if they hadn't met online. They had revealed personal things, things that you were never so forthright about in real life, and found they had a lot in common.

Vesper was a hidden gem of a friend. Mila liked her dark humour, her searing cynicism, her bluntness, her as a person. But the fact that she was one of the few people who got to experience these parts of her made it all the more special, like she was in on some little secret. Though as much as she could be selfish, Mila wouldn't discourage Vesper from making more friends. He just didn't seem very interested.

you are going to love it. i'm enforcing mandatory fun.

drink up!

She waited for the message to reach Vesper to raise her glass in a toast, clinking their glasses together and taking a sip before grabbing her phone again.

so, which part is better? living alone or living in chicago?

Jul 28 2017, 05:40 PM
he/she/they
twenty-five

being grumpy
unemployed
vesper fraser

outskirts of paradise

The sangria Mila had ordered for her was plopped down in front of her when she was texting, so she hadn’t noticed the server in order to thank them, but that was the least of Vesper’s concerns. They were just happy to have it when they looked up. Before picking up his glass, he smiled at Mila’s message about mandatory fun as a way to accept the requirement, then followed Mila’s lead to tap their glasses together. It felt only proper, since this was their first meeting ever, and Vesper hoped for many more. The drink was as good as she could have hoped.

>this sangria is amazing, great choice, thanks

He snorted at Mila’s next message, unable to stop it. ‘Living alone’ was hardly what he would call living with Mateo, but, she supposed, it was quite a bit different than living at home with his parents.

>definitely chicago. my roommate is a piece of shit and i sleep on the couch in the living room because it’s a 1 bedroom. still better than being in kenfucky, though. anything is. you and nana feel like adding a roommate?

Of course, they weren’t being entirely serious, not wanting to impose on friends that he had only just met in person, but, well, Mila was a lot more fun to talk to and be around than Mateo was. The latter drove her up the fucking wall--but, that was what they got for taking a room at the first opportunity.

BY MITZI
Aug 8 2017, 02:36 PM
she/her
twenty-four

aura reading
ghostwriter
mila i. mattke

She gave Vesper a thumbs up, reading the honesty in his aura. She could always expect honesty from Vesper, who would never lie to spare her feelings. Mila liked that about them, that they didn't treat her like something fragile or feel like they needed to censor themselves around her.

Mila laughed.

we aren't much better, believe me Their relationship wasn't the romantic or domestic picture that the word 'marriage' implied. They both ran on weird schedules - Mila had a job that let her work her own - usually irregular - hours, and Nana was often jetlagged. Mila had weird habits, an unnerving collection of creepy dolls and taxidermy mounts, and was far from the perfect wife or roommate. She would have felt insecure or nervous, living with someone else, even a good friend like Vesper.

but i can ask around and see if anyone i know is looking for a roommate

hopefully someone who isn't a piece of shit

i'm glad to hear the windy city is treating you well at least

the freedom is kind of intoxicating, right?

Mila was glad to have moved out - it was one of the best things she'd ever done for herself. It hadn't solved all her problems or made her life perfect, but it was a big step that made a big difference. She was sure it was the same for her friend.

Aug 22 2017, 03:58 PM
he/she/they
twenty-five

being grumpy
unemployed
vesper fraser

outskirts of paradise

Vesper, of course, hadn’t expected to have Mila offering her a place in her home at that moment, so it was no loss when Mila texted back that it wasn’t meant to be. Vesper only knew snatches of what Mila’s homelife was about, things they’d talked about over their time knowing each other. It wasn’t the main focus of much conversation, but Vesper knew enough to understand Mila not wanting Vesper to be there as well.

>not a piece of shit would be great
>he picks fights with me for no reason, i think he really just likes fighting.
>sometimes it seems good that we’re both deaf so we don’t get kicked out for yelling at each other, as much as i sometimes want to scream at him
>i do like the city, though. it’s nice to have friends to go out with, too.

It wasn’t hard to guess correctly that Vesper hadn’t had a lot of friends in Kentucky. Being adopted, mixed race, non-white, deaf, trans, queer--all of it combined in the middle of a small country town in the South, there weren’t too many people like him, and anyone who was decent enough to try to get along anyways, Vesper tended to push away anyways with a bad attitude and intense cynicism. They didn’t have friends because they didn’t believe people would want to be friends with them. Somehow, with Mila they had let their guard down and decided to let her get close, and they truly couldn’t say they regretted it. Deep down, they had needed this sort of thing all along.

BY MITZI

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

options
new poll

Avalon a Panfandom RPCode 8ideal worldFerocious
Life Taught Me To DieNo Noise, No Noise
Candyland CoutureShadowplay