Feb 6 2017, 02:54 AM
he/him/his
TWENTY-FOUR

PHEROMONE MANIPULATION
grocery clerk
charles j. elliott
leesha [idc ] • 70 posts

& hold it tight

This wasn't the first time Charles had to deal with a sick baby, and he knew for sure it wouldn't be the last. It didn't make it any easier as a father to see his son suffering. It had started out with Sydney just being fussy this morning, and somewhere along the line had progressed in to a fever. He could be glad at least that it was his day off and he wouldn't have to pass of a cranky sick baby to anyone to look after, but that also meant he now had to deal with a cranky sick baby on his own. Which, admittedly, he hadn't exactly done yet. The last time Sydney had fallen ill he'd been back at home with his parents. He liked to believe he'd mostly handled it then, but he'd had his mother to lead him. Now he was just sort of driving blind and hoping for the best.

He knew he needed something to bring the fever down, so he got Sydney dressed warmly for a trip to the pharmacy. It was frustrating, trying to dress a squirmy screaming baby, when normally Sydney would only try to crawl away at most. Maybe rip off his socks when Charles looked away for a second. Now it was a straight up fight that didn't end until he was dressed and held back in his arms, which, okay, he could do this again. He could hold his son. He was an expert at holding his son. He was expert at it until he had to stick him in his car seat, and then he had to feel like the worst person in the world while his baby howled in the back seat. No amount of talking or driving or promising that it was for his own good would soothe him until he'd parked and pulled him back in to his arms.

"I know," he soothed like a mantra, bouncing the baby while he rushed his way in to the pharmacy. He felt like everyone was judging him, Sydney's cries muffled behind a plug but still steady. His face was covered in drool and tears that Charles dried up with his sleeve. Was he teething? His cheeks weren't red like he was, and now his nose was running- he wiped that with his sleeve , too. He stood debating different medicine until he felt a plug fall down his front and the cries got louder, a sigh escaping him. "For fuck's sake, kid, I'm trying here," he told him, cradled to his chest so he could crouch down and pick the soother back up. He popped it in his own mouth to clean it, fixing Sydney in his arms so he was higher up, face was buried in to his shoulder. He rocked and tried to figure out what the hell he needed, Sydney's cries muffled in his shoulder. "There'sh a good boy," he told him around the soother still held in his teeth, and he truly believed it until he heard the cough. The cough that he knew meant his son was going to sick up down his back.

He wasn't quick enough, felt it through his sweater. "Aaaaaa," he mourned, turning Sydney only to discover he wasn't done. If he wasn't half panicked he would have let him puke on the floor, but he was a scared dad and so his reaction was to put his hand under his face. "Aaaaa," he repeated with more feeling, stood with a no longer crying baby tucked in his arm, a soother still clenched in his teeth, and vomit dripping from his hand to the floor.

<3
Feb 6 2017, 04:15 PM

paige l. highland
[] • 0 posts

paige knew she shouldn't really be spending any more money at this moment. she'd just started a new show, but the paycheck hadn't come in yet and bills were soon going to be due along with her college loans and just everything piling on top of her and driving her halfway to insanity. logically, the smart thing to do today would be sit at her desk and continue working on designs, doing research, finding fabric swatches. something to keep the work ball rolling for her. of course, her sister wasn't really having any of that- leona had dragged the older highland away from her work station, gouache paint still smeared on her arms and marker stains on her clothes. without even giving paige a chance to argue, she'd been shoved out of the apartment, told to "get some air and calm the fuck down", and now here she was, wandering chicago in an attempt to clear her head.hiking her bag up further on her shoulder (because naturally, the bag that leona had shoved at her as she left the door was her work bag, heavy as fuck and full of expensive tools), paige paused as she stared at the pharmacy across the street. now, usually, paige was the type to do all of her make-up shopping in places like ulta and sephora (she was a bit picky), but there were exceptions, and a particular type of revlon lip stain was one of her favorites, and she was just getting to the dregs of her wine red one. with a shrug, and the mental reassurance that she could afford the 10$ that the lip stain would end up costing, she crossed the street and entered, ignoring the chime of the door and the heading straight toward the halogen-lit area of makeup in the back.if there was one thing you should know about paige, it's probably the fact that she gets a little overzealous, and even though she walked in here for lip stain, fifteen minutes had passed and she was now holding lipstain, concealer, foundation, and a new eyeshadow brush. she deserved to treat herself, right? she'd been working hard? even if this meant she couldn't exactly afford that bottle of wine she owed her sister after she and kit drank the one. her sister could wait. happy in her decision, paige made her way through the aisles (specifically avoiding the hair products aisle), she perked up at the sound of a child crying. she couldn't help her initial reaction of annoyance, nobody wanted to listen to a child screaming, but she pushed it away. sometimes it was unavoidable and she was sure the parent was doing everything they could.naturally, out of sheer curiosity, she peeked down the aisle that it sounded like the cries were coming from, and immediately spotted the man and the fussy infant, mainly because everyone else in the store was giving them a wide berth. although her timing was a bit off, because the second she looked was the moment the infant began to vomit, and then continued down his father's front in a way that definitely did not look healthy. with wide eyes, paige looked around, seeing if anyone else was doing anything, but most seemed to be determinedly looking anyway except at the couple. she swallowed, and shuffled slowly toward them, digging through her bag, "Here," she offered, pulling out some burlap-type fabric from her bag, "To wipe off your hand- and your shirt, it's too rough for his face though, lemme see if I have something else, I probably have some kind of cotton blend in here that would be okay for it-" she continued digging through the bag, and then looked up, her mind in a million places at once, "Did you want me to hold him so you can wipe off- of course you don't, nobody wants a stranger holding their child, sorry, stupid question!" she rambled, and then smiled as she pulled out a small, soft-looking rag from her bag.tag: charles | notes:
Feb 7 2017, 12:54 AM
he/him/his
TWENTY-FOUR

PHEROMONE MANIPULATION
grocery clerk
charles j. elliott
leesha [idc ] • 70 posts

& hold it tight

Being a parent entailed a lot of bodily fluids that didn't belong to him being on him. It was something he had come to terms with quite early in to it all, knew that was just what babies did. They drooled and they cried and they spit up and peed. If Charles had a dollar for every time he'd been peed on, he could buy like, three shirts. Three shirts that he'd use to put on in between laundry when his other ones got peed on. But it was one thing to be a mess in the comfort of his own home, and another one entirely in the middle of a pharmacy. Mainly taking in to consideration Sydney hadn't simply spit up on him, he hadn't spat up in quite some time thankfully, he'd been sick all over him. He'd been sick all over him and now there was a girl offering to help.

Was he sweating? He must have been. Surely she wouldn't have come near him if he wasn't. "Thanksh," he offered dumbly around the soother, taking the material carefully. He didn't want to get any of the mess on her. He was learning what it was like to have baby vomit creep up his sleeve and it wasn't a good feeling at all, but at least it was his kid. He'd indirectly made this mess by making this baby and so it was okay if it was on him, but it couldn't be on her. That was just impolite.

Charles stood awkwardly with the material, debating how he was going to do this. He would have handed Sydney right away, he seemed content now to just whimper around a fist he'd decided to suck on and crane his head to try and see who the new voice belonged to. But then she'd pointed out that they were strangers and so obviously he couldn't. Right? It was some sort of rule of parenting.

But he wasn't an octopus, and she had two capable hands. "Plee," he tried, spitting the soother in to the cloth in his hand and, with only minimal struggle, taking it in his other hand. "Please can you hold him, just for a second. I don't mind if you don't mind," he said with his newly clear voice. "Just like, leave him facing away from you in case..." He gestured with the cloth and smiled in spite of himself. He doubted anyone out to harm his baby would offer this kind of help. Or maybe they would to gain his trust, but it was a risk he was willing to take. He was fast. He could stop a kidnapping attempt quite easily. He rather doubted he had to worry about that, though, as he was still mostly certain she was here because he was sweating.

<3
Feb 7 2017, 10:13 PM

paige l. highland
[] • 0 posts

the young woman wished she'd been able to get her real bag before being shoved out the door- she had things like wet wipes, hand sanitizer, tissues, those kinds of things in that bag. (they always helped when she babysat izzy's kid), but no, now she had to just stand here dumbly, staring at the man as he awkwardly shifted his child from arm to arm in an attempt to clean himself off. she couldn't help the grin when he said that he didn't mind if she held the child, and paige let her bag slide off her shoulder and next to one of the shelves before holding her arms out to take the infant, "I don't mind at all!" she said as she gathered the small, fussy child into her grasp, holding him with a practiced grip of someone who has held many children.she listened to his advice, but gently took the softer rag from him, dabbing at the infant's mouth and doing her best to wipe off any drool or excess spit-up on his lips and chin, murmuring soothingly to him the entire time as she did, "he feels like he has a bit of a fever- do you have anything soft like jell-o or popsicles for him to keep his liquid in?" she asked, and then once again shook her head, "i'm sorry, i'm being nosy, i'm not trying to imply you can't take care of your child or anything, i just do a lot of babysitting with my friends' kids and now i'm just all over the place," she laughed awkwardly.even though she was speaking to the infant's father, she was still keeping her attention on the infant, the cloth now below his mouth to catch any more spit-up that might happen. she didn't particularly care about this sweater, but that didn't mean she wanted to have vomit on it. she was trying to ease the boy but he was already looking mildly upset at the fact that he was being held by a stranger when his father was less than two feet away. soothingly, she ran a hand up and down the boy's back, glancing at the man to make sure he was almost done cleaning himself off, "i'm paige, by the way."tag: charles | notes:
Feb 16 2017, 12:22 AM
he/him/his
TWENTY-FOUR

PHEROMONE MANIPULATION
grocery clerk
charles j. elliott
leesha [idc ] • 70 posts

& hold it tight

"Thank you much," he said while handing Sydney over, "for everything." For providing him with something to clean up with. For taking his sick baby and holding him like she knew what she was doing, cleaning his little face and making Charles' life a bit easier. He was quick to wipe up what he could with the cloth provided, half an eye on his son in a way he couldn't help. It wasn't that he didn't trust her, but he didn't know her. He appreciated all she was doing but he was still a parent and he could hear Sydney fussing, could she blame him for glancing up every couple of seconds?

Mostly clean and satisfied he slid out of his sweater, thankful he'd layered up today and could actually take the dirty thing off. He supposed now would be the moment of truth, one less layer to keep his fully unintentional (okay maybe a little intentional, he smelled like baby vomit otherwise) pheromones from reaching her. But she was talking about Sydney having a fever. Which, yes, he definitely did have one, but someone who was only here because they were blindly attracted to him for something he couldn't (sort of) help wouldn't take note of the fact his kid was legitimately ill. Or they wouldn't ask how prepared he was for it (the answer was not very). "Yeah I've got some popsicles at home." Maybe. "But I'll pick up some more," he added, because he didn't want to admit he was mostly lost but he also didn't want to disregard all of her help. "Don't apologise, it's all good."

He tied his sweater around his hips like a true 90's kid and straightened out his shirt, awkwardly stuffing the dirty cloth in to his pocket. "I owe you cloth," he answered instead of introducing himself, taking the fussy boy back and sticking his soother in his mouth. "Sorry, hello, I'm Charles. I'd shake your hand but it's kind of gross still probably." He cleared his throat and looked down at the infant in his arms, aggressively sucking on his soother and making the odd displeased noise, "and this is Sydney Mayhem. I'm sorry your first introduction is while he's a crank, I promise he's normally a very pleasant little guy."

<3
Feb 17 2017, 05:58 PM

paige l. highland
[] • 0 posts

"it's really no problem, I wasn't about to just leave you here covered in throw up." she dismissed. paige didn't deal with sick kids often- she primarily babysat izzy's kids when he was busy, and if either of them was sick izzy didn't usually need her to babysit, so. but on occasion she was subject to a vomiting infant, and at least that knowledge was coming in handy now, "yeah, i mean, he won't be able to keep down anything normal- like formula and squished peas and stuff, at least if this puking is consistent. so, yeah, popsicles, and stuff that is liquidy and get him nutrition and hydration and yeah!" she agreed cheerfully. she didn't seem at all bothered that he had kept an eye on her the entire time. as sad as it was, people had to be careful of crazies who would just run off with their kid! but she wasn't going to say that- she wasn't quite that socially awkward as to bring up kidnapping in front of a father she just met.paige simply shrugged in response to the offer to give her a new piece of cloth as she handed the softer scrap to charles for him to use in case the infant decided to spit up again. "don't worry about it, i probably have more fabric than really is necessary in my life. i should probably throw some of it out..." she murmured the second part absentmindedly, even though she knew she wouldn't and would probably just add the pieces to her swatch books at home. she laughed lightly at the introduction, "i appreciate it, as much as i'm happy to help i don't actively seek out having baby vomit on my hands," she shook her head, "but it's nice to meet you, charles!" and she leaned down just a little, lightly poking sydney's nose with her index finger, "oh, it's fine, i can promise you that i'm like... ten times worse when i'm sick. i lie on the couch all day making my sister or my friend sam make me soup. i become a total drama queen invalid." she smiled as she stood straight up again. tag: charles | notes:
Mar 27 2017, 11:09 PM
he/him/his
TWENTY-FOUR

PHEROMONE MANIPULATION
grocery clerk
charles j. elliott
leesha [idc ] • 70 posts

& hold it tight

Charles hummed in agreement and nodded, like he entirely understood what she was telling him. He did, of course, more or less. But at the same time he hadn't really thought about the fact that even bottles might be out of the question. Unless she just meant formula and not actual milk, although he had a feeling that would probably be a bit heavy on an upset tummy. How was he supposed to keep his kid alive if he couldn't eat anything other than popsicles? Hydration. Right. "Better pick up some diapers while I'm at it," he thought out loud. Hopefully it was just a one time puking, but if he needed to keep shoving him full of liquids it was going to have to go somewhere. And who was to say whatever issue he was having wouldn't work it's way down to the other end? He could only hope he wasn't that sick.

"It's nice to meet you," he started with a chuckle, "despite the circumstances." Sydney grumbled where he was held, stopping only for a second to reach for the hand in his face when he was booped on the nose. He heaved a great big baby sigh, tiny fingers gripping her own finger with shocking force for a little guy that sounded entirely beat. "Sydney, buddy, you can't keep Paige's finger. It's a part of her body, it's not for little sicky babies. Time to let go and say byebye. Will you do that, please?" Sydney tilted his head up to look at his dad as if to tell him off, grunting softly and still not letting go. "Apparently you've inspired him," he sighed. He knew he was stress sweating at this point, and normally he'd just go ahead and roll with it, but it's not like he could think about picking someone up from a pharmacy. Not while his baby was sick, even when said baby seemed to refuse to cooperate. "We're just destined to be the stressed dad and screaming child in the store today? Cool. Great."

<3
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

options
new poll

Avalon a Panfandom RPCode 8ideal worldFerocious
Life Taught Me To DieNo Noise, No Noise
Candyland CoutureShadowplay