credits

new poll

shaw, lalow migizi, 23 / guitarist / dyami thomas
Jun 15 2017, 08:26 AM

lalow m. shaw
[] • 0 posts

“I let my braids sway before my culture dieI let my heart bleed I consult the skyI ask my grandfather Why? as I say my cry”lalow migizi shaw23guitaristbody part substitutionshapeshiftingdyami thomasmilesthey / themestwarning: this is going to have brief mentions of suicide and racismLALOW is not going to get a hair cut ever. he's proud of his culture. you can't call him lala. he's a dweeb with a very deep voice.✦ lalow was born in chiloquin, oregon to a klamath mother and an ojibwa father. he was their second child, born a year after his sister lelika.✦ his father struggled with mental illness and was in and out of his life for the first few years of it. at age five his father had ended the struggle by his own hand. ✦ honestly, growing up on a reserve with extremely poor mental health care availability this honestly wasn't uncommon. later on in his life that list grew to include a few friends, cousins, an auntie, and friends families.✦ the reserve was very bleak and in poor condition. a termination policy in the 50's left the reserve cut off from education, health care, housing, and related resources. the housing conditions were terrible, mental illness and addiction was common, increased infant mortality rates and incarcerated people were all just something he grew used to.✦ but he was also surrounded by some great people who found power in the bleakness of their situation. his mother, by the time of his birth, was an outspoken and well known activist for first nations rights and animal rights. his grandmother, his auntie, her husband, and a collection of cousins all joined her.✦ his family surrounded him with love, support, and culture. teaching him their language and their history. teaching him how to braid his hair and why it was so important. he attended powwows and listened attentively to stories and almost exclusively spoke klamath-modoc at home.✦ lalow was five when one of his closest friends was diagnosed with neuroblastoma. obviously lalow didn't fully understand the concept of cancer back then, but he understood how devastated his friend was to lose the braid that was so important to them. lalow, unable to fully commit, shaved the sides of his head to help his friend feel better.✦ the sides have stayed shaved ever since. lalow trims his own split ends out of fear of salons cutting way too much off. he only lets a very select group of people handle shaving the sides for him and chances are you are not on that list.✦ his history with music started with hand drumming. he was also known to participate in grass dances and did a lot of singing. he expanded to guitar when he was twelve, taking inspiration from guitar slapping.✦ in school he was an average student in every aspect. not super popular, but not super bullied. not a straight a student but not flunking every class. his sister was the smart and popular one.✦ she is currently working towards behind a lawyer with an emphasis in doing human rights work. she works for a lot of non profits. the two of them are super close.✦ lalow grew up involved in protests and activism. his mother's involvement within the native community and animal rights community often resulted in lalow and his sister tagging along. naturally, things didn't always end well.✦ his power showed up before his sister's did and it wasn't much of a surprise. there were long elaborate stories within the shaw family about having gifts. a great grandfather who could call on the wind. an auntie who could see into people's futures. and then him: able to take on the parts of animals.✦ his sister's power of persuasion came much later near her high school graduation. it definitely helps with her law and activism careers but she has to be careful.✦ lalow always knew he wanted a career in music. specifically, he wanted to blend modern music with native music. he wanted to be able to share his culture in a way that most people would listen to and appreciate.✦ early into 2017 his mother was arrested while involved in standing rock protests. due to limited space she ended up being transferred to cook county jail.✦ him and his sister promptly moved to chicago so they could be closer to their mother. they visit her on a regular basis and call her all the time. so he hasn't been in town for very long.✦ his mother's career with activism often resulted in her getting a lot of negative press attention. so the idea of fame for himself has always been something he worries about. tokenization is a real concern.✦ with limited professional experience in music he's been trying to get his feet in somewhere. he was working odd jobs and busking while trying to get himself more professionally involved.✦ for someone who's not so into cameras, the idea of joining a band that's got a reality show going on is a little terrifying. he's not quite sure what he's gotten himself into just yet.✦ he's just a quiet and reserved guy who can get a little flustered with ignorance and having to answer the same questions about his hair and his culture. ✦ he tends to take a while to open up to people but once he's comfortable he's a really good and dweeby person. he's just never been the most social person.FRIENDS he's only just moved to chicago so he desperately needs some friends. but he's also a pretty shy dude. he's not the most chatty or extroverted person. he needs people who can drag him out of his shell. the kind of people who won't take no for an answer even when he gets a little grumpy. the only time he's the one who befriends someone first is if he sees someone being mistreated. he'll always stand up for the little guy.FOES the easiest way to get on his shit list is to tell him to cut his hair. or to make racist comments about native people. he's a quiet guy but he will always stand up for his beliefs and for people who are being mistreated.FANCIES he's not much of a fling or one night stand kind if guy. all of his past relationships have been long lasting ones. he's not entirely sure what his sexuality is and has limited experience with people who aren't cis-girls. his future is on reserve for now but that doesn't mean we can't figure something out.FAMILY he has a fuckton of cousins. and he's super close to his sister. but his sister will remain an npc and his cousins are all in oregon.BODY PART SUBSTITUTION lalow is able to temporarily replace parts of his body with those of animal bodies. usually he uses it to resemble mythical creatures for costume parties, but he also has a reflex to turn his braid into a snake when people grab it. it's a lot easier to do with mammals, but no matter what the animal the process is painful. if he's distracted while turning back into a human he risks leaving animal organs in place of his human ones. it's not very fun. lalow must have seen the animal with his own two eyeballs to turn into it, not an image, so when he takes on the tail of a cat or the body of a horse he takes on the patterns / scars / characteristics of that specific animal he saw. it first surfaced when he was thirteen and a boy tried to pull lalow by his braid. guess what it turned into? the head of a rattlesnake.
Jul 29 2017, 11:46 PM
she/her
twenty-five

power augmentation
mechanic/roller derby girl
laura e. youngblood
mica [she/her] • 35 posts

pow wow buddies!! we've talked about how these two probably knew each other from powwows and dance competitions at said powwow from their youth. while laur stopped dancing when she grew older (bc she couldn't dedicate the time needed), she still goes to pow wows. she's going to be really surprised that lalow is here in chicago, after living here basically being alienated from her culture, she'll love a reminder of her past. @lalow m. shaw
Jul 30 2017, 10:34 PM

lalow m. shaw
[] • 0 posts

lalow & laurhell yeah hell yeah! i can't see lalow doing dances too much either but his sisters definitely does. they can go to all of her competitions. he'd be shocked to see her in chicago but so glad to have a familiar face man. he just feels so out of place and they can just feel so at home with each other. i love it. @laura e. youngblood
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

options
new poll

Avalon a Panfandom RPCode 8ideal worldFerocious
Life Taught Me To DieNo Noise, No Noise
Candyland CoutureShadowplay